Sunday, April 5, 2015

Bluff Week 1

 Bluff, Utah

March 2, 2015

Well let's start by saying serving a mission in Utah is better than I ever thought it would be. 
The town of Bluff is tiny as we all know, but we don't work in it at all. The whole town, although it was settled by Mormons, is kind of against us. We have been directed not to work in the city of Bluff because of all of the bad feeling toward missionaries. I don't know why that started but it did. So instead of serving in the city we are exclusively on the Rez, thanks goodness. 
We cover Mexican Hat, Mexican Water, and the 5 points area south to the Arizona border. It's difficult not only switching an area and people but also switching a culture. But on the bright side Dine Bazaad (the Navajo language) is so much easier to learn than Hopi. I already know as much Navajo as Hopi. Something that is really cool about Bluff is that we have 2 parts to our branch. We have the branch in Bluff itself and we have a ministry on the Rez for the natives. Some of them are intimidated by lots of white faces. 
This week I was in Bluff and got to meet all of the newcomers. There is a fort here that is run by Missionaries. As of now there are 14 senior couples who live here and work at the fort. The best part about this for us is that fact that they fight over who gets to feed us. So this is kind of missionary paradise. 
Guess what!? I saw grass. Lots of grass. There is grass here in Bluff! The snow has started to melt off and there is green underneath, not just mud. That's a change for me. As is the trailer. I can actually walk around, stand up in the shower instead of hunching over. The shower is hot too. I can sit up in my bed without hitting my face on the ceiling. we have a real toilet! It is awesome. 
We are in Blanding which is way closer than Tuba City was to us, and I am actually emailing from Utah State. The Blanding campus of course but hey it's close. I am finally getting to know my way around on the Rez out here now that all of the snow is melting and I can actually see landmarks. Well that's about it for this week talk you y'all later.

Love,
Elder Warnick


Things the Navajo hide in the middle of no where on their Reservation.

Really nice Camaros




Polar Bears


and random lakes in the middle of the road that you have to drive through and almost get stuck in

No comments:

Post a Comment