Monday, February 23, 2015

Names and Poop

Polacca, AZ

Feb. 16, 2016

This will be it everyone, this is the week that I hit 6 months. Not only on my mission thought but also in Polacca. I don't want to say this but I am pretty sure that I am leaving. Now enough already on that sad note.

This week was a week full of Gardens. We tilled 2 gardens this week. We put manure, humate (soil conditioner), 16-16-16 fertilizer, and 20-0-0 fertilizer on all of the gardens in this area to condition the extremely sandy soil out here. Wednesday morning we spent hauling manure. We filled our truck, the Barrett's truck and the Branch's flatbed trailer with manure and with the total of all our trips we hauled 12 loads of manure. It was very tiring morning of shoveling it in to trucks then back out. I forgot how some people don't understand that manure that is 2 or 3 years old is just like dirt and they think it is gross. I'm used to the manure but my companion was in a little bit of a different boat.

Sacrament Meeting was great yesterday. We had a High Council speaker and his and his son's talks were amazing. I learned a lot. I also sat next to an investigator who came to church, which was awesome but the sad part is that he was kind of tripping. Yes he prepared himself to come to church with some Marijuana. We knew it as soon as he walked in the door so sat next to him so no one else would have to suffer from that sickly-sweet smell. I sacrificed for others but I may have gotten a little second hand high. I got the munchies later during church. He did really good at controlling himself until the end of our Gospel Principles class when he randomly started swearing and we had to put our foot down. but other than that it was all good.

Well this is strange to say but I was awesome at Basketball on Friday night. I don't want to sound arrogant but I was destroying people. I guess after practicing for a while I can be good at that sport. I am closer than ever on the dunk. I barely missed the other night.

This morning at the crack of dawn we went to a baby naming. We got to watch the mother and the baby be washed, then see the baby be named by all of his aunts and uncles. The would sprinkle him with corn meal (which is sacred)  give him their blessing and give him a Hopi name. After this the mother took the baby outside so greet the sun. For the first 21 days the baby and the mother cannot see the sun, they stay inside the house and all of the windows are covered so that once he is named and he sees the sun for the first time the sun and the gods will know his name. It was an awesome experience and then of course the best part of all Hopi ceremonies the food.

That's it for this week thanks all for the constant support.

Love,
Elder Warnick
 
I want to see other missionaries try this!

Grumpy Tiller Man

 
I kind of freaked out when I saw this. I carried the grass around with me and just smelled it for a while.
 
A Little Green

Real Grass!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment